5 (10.2%)
ECF loss
11 (22.4%)
Finals loss
5 (10.2%)
Title 18! Anything is possible!!!!!!
27 (55.1%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: How far will a completely healthy Celtic team go in this whacky season?  (Read 13503 times)

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Maybe it’s being away from everything basketball which gives me green tinted glasses, but I think these C’s have a shot at the title. If Tatum continues to blossom and other teams show rust, we could win it all. I don’t mind the asterisk, a championship is a championship.

Teams will be calling the Celtics "an asterisked 18th banner, does not count" and those annoying Lakers fans will surely discredit it lol. But ofc, when they win they act like world-beaters, 3peat, and clamoring the success over the Celtics lol

But yeah, agreed. A championship is a championship for my Celtics. I hope the C's win it all as they have a decent shot at it being fully healthy right now. It all comes down to coaching and player execution.

When someone brings up the amount of titles the San Antonio Spurs have won, I don't recall hearing about an asterisk on their first title they won during the strike shortened '98-'99 season.

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
I'd love to say "Tittle 18" but in reality and IMO the team lacks chemistry on the offensive end. They lack playmaking, and live at the three point line in leu of working the ball to find the open man with the best opportunity. The offensive is too predictable in that way and easy to prepare for.

A team can live at the three point line if they have Clay, Curry and Durant, but the C's don't. You need to be who you are, not what you want to be. They're a young team and often play like it. In the end shooting percentage will be the main team culprit here. 

At the defensive end, youth and solid quick length should pay dividends. Unfortunately in the playoffs the game slows to a grind and interior D becomes valuable. As much as I like Theis, I really wish he were two inches taller and a bit longer.. Plus, he gets the worst whistle in the NBA and needs a solid defensive backup. Naturally Williams will be injured in the first round. Kanter will have nightmares when he sleeps about the pick and roll. 

There is a caveat this year, the NBA team that stayed best physically and mentally prepared in this COVID shutdown will have a distinct advantage. 

I struggled between second round and ECF loss.

With Kemba, Hayward, Smart, Kanter and Theis, they have a strong vet presence, especially at the end of games. Wanamaker too has many years of pro experience and it shows. I don't think being a young team is going to be their issue.

Also, Tatum and Brown have lead a team to the brink of defeating Lebron's Cavs and going to the NBA Finals already, and have several years of playoff experience themselves.

I think being younger will also physically help them rebound well from the covid-19 layoff going into these playoffs. I would worry more about 35 year old Lebron's body coming off a long layoff going into intense NBA action than I would about guys like Tatum, Brown, and Smart.

You are right about shooting percentage though, that has been an issue with this team for years now. Ainge needs to add some high level shooting to the bench next season.
Boston is 12th in 3 point shooting percentage and above the league average.  They are 14th in 3 point attempts so they aren't overdoing it either.  Now clearly Smart need to shoot less (though it is much less an issue with him hitting basically 35% this year), but the team overall shoots just fine from deep and Tatum, Hayward, Brown, and Walker are all basically 38% or better (and Tatum is pushing 40%).

Good points here.

The whole discussion about shooting is important, I would agree. But surely someone should point out as well just how good Boston's offense has been this season.

Here are Boston's offensive rank (according to Basketball Reference) and league ranking for the "four factors":

ORtg    5   
eFG%  19
TOV%  6
ORB%  8
FT/FGA  12

Shooting is important - of course. But the bottom line is, how many points does a team produce in a possession?

"There's more than one way to cook a turkey".

These numbers show that Boston's field goal shooting is mediocre - below average, in fact. Well, that sucks, and maybe Danny Ainge could do something about that.

But, having said that, the overall result is actually quite good - by this calculation, Your Boston Celtics were fifth in the league in offense. They did that, and despite their shooting, by crashing the offensive board and taking great care of the ball (Jayson Tatum especially is not getting enough recognition for his ability to create shots without turning it over).

I don't need to add that the C's were also fourth in defense - so, getting better at shooting by a change in rotations or roster makeup should make up for deficiencies without taking away from what the team is already doing well.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 06:22:00 PM by Hoopvortex »
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767
What are the most important things with this abrupt interruption to the season?

1. Franchise and system stability. The more a team knows their responsibilities the better off they will be. The Celtics are second to no one in that regard.
2. Hunger. With such a short sprint to the finish line, a team that is locked in from the get-go will be able to get into rhythm quicker.
3. Talent. Normally talent would be first because it assumes that, by the end of any season, most teams are pretty equal in knowing their roles, rotations, schemes, etc. Then talent would be the thing that sets some teams apart. Talent still matters, alot.

I really think the Cs have got a chance. The Lakers are the favorites in my opinion. They have the system in place around Lebron, vets that know their roles, hunger because they know their championship window is not big, and as much talent as anyone in the NBA.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1554

1. Franchise and system stability. The more a team knows their responsibilities the better off they will be. The Celtics are second to no one in that regard.
2. Hunger. With such a short sprint to the finish line, a team that is locked in from the get-go will be able to get into rhythm quicker.
3. Talent. Normally talent would be first because it assumes that, by the end of any season, most teams are pretty equal in knowing their roles, rotations, schemes, etc. Then talent would be the thing that sets some teams apart. Talent still matters, alot.

I really think the Cs have got a chance. The Lakers are the favorites in my opinion. They have the system in place around Lebron, vets that know their roles, hunger because they know their championship window is not big, and as much talent as anyone in the NBA.
I think Milwaukee is the top team in the East in all 3 of your key ingredients, though Boston is probably 2nd or 3rd in all of them, so certainly could have a shot if Milwaukee falters in any way.  I also agree the Lakers are the top team in the West and perhaps even ahead of the Bucks, but I also wouldn't be surprised if the Clippers or Rockets came out of the West either.  I really don't think any team other than those 4 is winning the title this year, even in an abbreviated weird season like this one.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas

I think Milwaukee is the top team in the East in all 3 of your key ingredients, though Boston is probably 2nd or 3rd in all of them, so certainly could have a shot if Milwaukee falters in any way.  I also agree the Lakers are the top team in the West and perhaps even ahead of the Bucks, but I also wouldn't be surprised if the Clippers or Rockets came out of the West either.  I really don't think any team other than those 4 is winning the title this year, even in an abbreviated weird season like this one.

Maybe. I tend to think they will struggle getting back into rhythm more than other teams, but I may be wrong. I thought their performance was a bit like the Cs from the Isaiah Thomas days. They were greater than the sum of their parts, but that might be exposed in the playoffs. Still, they do have Giannis, obviously. Even if I am right it may not matter.

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be
I can't see why this Celtics team can't at least make it to the Conference Finals, if not the NBA Finals.   MIL scares me in the East but that's about it.

Just really interested in what kind of basketball shape the C's are in & how much of a rust factor there is.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

The pandemic has disrupted the regular training and playing regimes of the players in extreme ways. Some players had dramatically better training resources than others. There was an almost complete stop to any form of scrimmaging, and that persists. It appears players are not yet interacting at the Auerbach Center. Things should be very uneven. Some quirky circumstances, like Grant Williams staying with Kemba Walker may have a weird impact.

I expect that LeBron and a few other hyper diligent and experienced players will have a huge advantage.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

The pandemic has disrupted the regular training and playing regimes of the players in extreme ways. Some players had dramatically better training resources than others. There was an almost complete stop to any form of scrimmaging, and that persists. It appears players are not yet interacting at the Auerbach Center. Things should be very uneven. Some quirky circumstances, like Grant Williams staying with Kemba Walker may have a weird impact.

I expect that LeBron and a few other hyper diligent and experienced players will have a huge advantage.
Yeah I think LeBron is going to far more prepared than most given his resources at home and that includes his 6'2" uber-talented high school kid.  Bronny gave Lebron the opportunity to get some real work in with another NBA sized person giving him an extra advantage over most of the league.   

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Maybe. I tend to think they will struggle getting back into rhythm more than other teams, but I may be wrong. I thought their performance was a bit like the Cs from the Isaiah Thomas days. They were greater than the sum of their parts, but that might be exposed in the playoffs. Still, they do have Giannis, obviously. Even if I am right it may not matter.
You've always been down on Milwaukee and I'm really not sure why.  They have the best player in the world.  They have a team that is perfectly crafted to support that best player in the world.  They are perhaps the deepest team in the league.  And frankly their two best skill sets are their defense and their shooting and you don't tend to lose your defense and you can get shooting touch back pretty easily.  I expect Milwaukee to be rolling by the time the playoffs start (if not sooner) and really don't think they will be challenged in the East.  The only team I think could give Milwaukee real problems is the Sixers (given their size), but that is only if the Sixers figure it out and I can't see them really figuring it out with what is left of the season (though they are probably going to be fully healthy for the first time).

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

You've always been down on Milwaukee and I'm really not sure why.  They have the best player in the world.  They have a team that is perfectly crafted to support that best player in the world.  They are perhaps the deepest team in the league.  And frankly their two best skill sets are their defense and their shooting and you don't tend to lose your defense and you can get shooting touch back pretty easily.  I expect Milwaukee to be rolling by the time the playoffs start (if not sooner) and really don't think they will be challenged in the East.  The only team I think could give Milwaukee real problems is the Sixers (given their size), but that is only if the Sixers figure it out and I can't see them really figuring it out with what is left of the season (though they are probably going to be fully healthy for the first time).

I thought until the late season Simmons injury the 76ers were statistically one of the healthiest teams in the league (if not the healthiest). What were their other significant injuries?

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas

I willingly concede that I might be wrong on this. I guess I still view the Bucks as a group of outcasts. We saw Bledsoe fall apart in the playoffs. Lopez is a good player, but just a year ago he struggled to get a good contract in the NBA. I think both Matthews and Hill are more washed up than they appear. Middleton is a good player, but I can't get last Team USA tourney out of my head, where he was supposed to be the main guy and struggled greatly on a team that desperately needed him.

The system is great because it hides a lot of these weaknesses, but what if the weaknesses get exposed? For example, they play at a ridiculous pace, but pace slows significantly in the playoffs (normally, but maybe it won't for them). Their defensive numbers have been great, but something seems off about the fact that they give up so many threes.

It's not like I think they are terrible. Giannis is still probably the best player in the world and I really do like a lot of their players. I think they have a great system in place. I just think there are more questions than typical for a team that has dominated so much.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 11:38:32 AM by DefenseWinsChamps »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I thought until the late season Simmons injury the 76ers were statistically one of the healthiest teams in the league (if not the healthiest). What were their other significant injuries?
Embiid missed 21 of the 65 games.  He did play in their last game but had missed the prior 5, so I wouldn't exactly call him healthy.  You note Simmons, he played less than 5 minutes over their last 10 games.  That would be their 2 best players.  Richardson, like Embiid, played in their last game, but had missed the 3 prior to that one and played in 10 minutes in the game he got banged up.  He is probably their 4th best player.  Their 5th best player, Horford did only miss 5 games, but it was rumored he was playing the season banged up so I'm sure the rest could do him well.

Harris is the only starter that I would have called fully healthy before the break. 

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

I willingly concede that I might be wrong on this. I guess I still view the Bucks as a group of outcasts. We saw Bledsoe fall apart in the playoffs. Lopez is a good player, but just a year ago he struggled to get a good contract in the NBA. I think both Matthews and Hill are more washed up than they appear. Middleton is a good player, but I can't get last Team USA tourney out of my head, where he was supposed to be the main guy and struggled greatly on a team that desperately needed him.

The system is great because it hides a lot of these weaknesses, but what if the weaknesses get exposed? For example, they place at a ridiculous pace, but pace slows significantly in the playoffs (normally, but maybe it won't for them). Their defensive numbers have been great, but something seems off about the fact that they give up so many threes.

It's not like I think they are terrible. Giannis is still probably the best player in the world and I really do like a lot of their players. I think they have a great system in place. I just think there are more questions than typical for a team that has dominated so much.
Bledsoe "fell apart" in the playoffs because the Bucks inexplicably moved away from using him as a main ballhandler - his real value on offence comes from him ability to knife into the lane and collapsing the defence with his incredible finishing at the rim. Lopez couldn't get a good contract last year because he played for the Lakers the season prior, they were career killers for veteran role players before this season. I think Matthews and Hill are what they are - very good role players who can be solid starters on a contender with the right structure around them. Middleton's World Cup collapse was probably an anomaly tbh, he's been on fire for the entire season so far and looks like an improved player on tape (more polished offensive arsenal, sharper decision making and passing, etc).

I think your criticisms about their system are more valid. I do feel that their offence will slow down in the playoffs, but offence was never their calling card - their meme-worthy SRS this season has been mainly powered by their historically good defence that has posted a -8.5 rDTRG, rivaling some of the better 60s Celtics squads during their defensive dynasty. As for teams shooting lots of threes against them, their defence simply forces teams to shoot from the outside - Brook Lopez has been looking like an All-League defender and a dark horse candidate for DPOY with his rim protection this season and he has another DPOY candidate flanking him in the frontcourt, teams simply aren't going to shoot many shots inside the arc against the Bucks lol.

The Bucks are probably the championship favourites this season and rightfully so - they have a fantastic system and supporting cast surrounding the best player in the world right now. Do I think that they're unbeatable? No, but I think only the Celtics really have a shot against them in the East unless the Sixers can somehow cobble together an offence that holds up against playoff defences (aka not happening).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

The system is great because it hides a lot of these weaknesses, but what if the weaknesses get exposed? For example, they place at a ridiculous pace, but pace slows significantly in the playoffs (normally, but maybe it won't for them). Their defensive numbers have been great, but something seems off about the fact that they give up so many threes.

Bledsoe did not play well against Toronto, but I thought he was fine overall against Boston and Detroit.  Now maybe he choked or maybe Toronto just wasn't a great matchup for him.  That seemed to be the case with most of that team after the first 2 games against Toronto though.  The shooters went cold when Giannis was more bottled up when Toronto put Kawhi on Giannis more often.  Now maybe a team can do that to them again this year, but I don't think that team is in the East.  The Raptors just had the right mix of size along with the uber-wing defender.  Boston has the wing defenders, I just don't think they have the size overall needed to deal with the Bucks.  I mean look at last year when Boston had Horford, Baynes, and Morris, they had nothing for Giannis.  I think that is worse this year.  If Boston makes it to Milwaukee, I just don't see how the Celtics win that series (assuming both teams are healthy).  Boston has no real answer for Giannis. 

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Bledsoe did not play well against Toronto, but I thought he was fine overall against Boston and Detroit.  Now maybe he choked or maybe Toronto just wasn't a great matchup for him.  That seemed to be the case with most of that team after the first 2 games against Toronto though.  The shooters went cold when Giannis was more bottled up when Toronto put Kawhi on Giannis more often.  Now maybe a team can do that to them again this year, but I don't think that team is in the East.  The Raptors just had the right mix of size along with the uber-wing defender.  Boston has the wing defenders, I just don't think they have the size overall needed to deal with the Bucks.  I mean look at last year when Boston had Horford, Baynes, and Morris, they had nothing for Giannis.  I think that is worse this year.  If Boston makes it to Milwaukee, I just don't see how the Celtics win that series (assuming both teams are healthy). Boston has no real answer for Giannis.
I think our struggles last year were due the fact that we couldn't stretch Lopez and their non-Giannis bigs enough that the Bucks were forced to go small with the exception of game 1. I'm pretty optimistic that we'll do that well enough this season with a more cohesive offence and additional perimeter threats to turn the series into a small ball slugfest, and I can see us outgunning the Bucks in that scenario. Obviously the Bucks would still be favoured to win the series (like they were last year against Toronto until they collapsed lol), but I think we have the best shot to take them out in the East.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA